Summer meal programs are crucial in ensuring that kids have access to delicious and nutritious meals even when school is out of session. Federal funding supports schools and community organizations in operating these meal programs to keep kids fed year-round.
Program Options for Summer Meals
- Summer Food Service Program (SFSP): This is the most popular summer meal program and is available to schools in service areas that are at or above 50% free and reduced eligibility and/or service areas located in a qualifying census track area.
- Seamless Summer Option (SSO): School Food Authorities (SFAs) participating in the National School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program are eligible to apply for the Seamless Summer Option.
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP): The National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs are available to any school hosting academic summer school.
Check out this Maine DOE resource to learn more about these programs, eligibility criteria, and reimbursement rates.
USDA Fact Sheet
- Hot Lunch Summer: An awareness campaign and summer meal site finder (updating during the summer months)
- Maine DOE Training & Outreach Resources
- USDA Summer Meals Toolkit